Tuesday, January 20, 2009

... are you sitting in the belly of a word gone mad?

I was trying to think of a pun or play on words that I could entitle this, my first post, being on inauguration day, and inaugurating myself into the blog-o-sphere... yet alas, nothing witty or romantic came to mind. So instead you are privy to an awesome old-school FFH song.

Speaking of Jonah, I was thinking about his story as I translated some Hebrew today and as I read it, I was thinking about the story itself. Keep in mind I learned most of what I know about the story from the veggie tales movie - but as I read it I was thinking what a colossal jerk this guy Jonah was. First he ran from God, then he almost killed some guys on a ship, got swallowed by a whale, God saved him, then he got annoyed at God when he didn't condemn an entire city because Jonah felt that he should have.

Seriously!? Who is Jonah? He doesn't listen to God, doesn't follow his directions until he almost gets killed... then has the audacity to get mad when God follows through on a plan?? How important did the prophet think that he was to even suggest that he may have known better for the Ninevites than God did. As I continued fuming about how ridiculous I thought he was, I realized that often I do the same thing.

How many times have I not listened to what God wanted me to hear? How many times have I looked at what God wanted me to do, then turn and run as fast as I can in the opposite direction? Enough times, believe me. Then when I finally pay attention to God and what He is calling me towards, if everything doesn't turn out exactly as I had planned, I tend to get winy, pout and wait for my vindication.

But it doesn't come. And it won't come. Because just like in the Jonah story, God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked,
but wants them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live (Ezekiel 33:11). Indeed the Jonah story reminds us of God's gracious benevolence, and if He is going to give it to Nineveh, why would he not also lend it to us?

So often I try to use my own idea of God and His attributes to justify and rationalize my deliberate neglect of my Christian duty, like Jonah, and I have learned that I fail and the true sovereignty of God shines through.

Today's prayer: That I would step back and legitimately listen to what God was trying to say. But beyond simply listening, that I would get my act together and DO it. I want my vision of God and His attributes to lead me to a life of honesty and integrity for the sake of honesty and integrity, not for selfish gain.

Ready, Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment